Tivoli │16 previous / next │main map / tivoli map
50 Andover Road
Cormell was a family business – Thomas, John and Joseph each having responsibility for a different branch of the trade. In 1916, S C Morris bought the premises and parts of the site were sublet to other contractors. From the 1950s number 9 approximately where Charterhouse now is, was the workshop of Stan Rouse, who specialised in car upholstery. Stan was brother to the furniture upholsterer in the Gloucester Road. The car upholstery business was still flourishing in 1970.
Charterhouse is another of those properties which were built on the site of the former S C Morris builders’ yard and included in the 1990s redevelopment. It is built on the access driveway alongside what was the retail outlet for Cormell and later, S C Morris. The same development is also true of Maison Chaplai deli. Both of the above properties are on the original site of number 10 and part of 11 Tivoli Place.
Researcher: Brian Torode.
If you have any further information or photographs of this property please let us know via the contacts page.