The Suffolks │33 previous / next │main map / tivoli map
11-13 Suffolk Road
11 Suffolk Road
In 1871 a Grocer called W Parsons occupied this shop. Ten years later, by 1881 this became Nathaniel G Poulston, Hairdresser. Still a Hairdresser from 1891 to1901 the name changed to Alfred Gibbons. In 1917 A Gibbons still traded here as A Hairdresser. However between 1908 and 1926 an Alfred Gibbons also occupied this unit as a Tobacconist. We found that between 1938 up to 1948 an Alfred William Gibbons traded here as a Tobacconist and in 1952 Alfred William Gibbons, also traded as a Hairdresser. Whilst still a Hairdressers in 1961 up to 1969 the name changed to P.G. Jones. By 1975 both this shop and next door Number 13 had become The Cheltenham Refrigeration Co Ltd.
13 Suffolk Road
No 13 saw in occupancy between 1856 and 1921 and May 1930 The Cotswold Stores In 1857 John Wall occupied but no trade listed can only assume he ran the Cotswold Stores? Listed from 1891-1901 there is a William Hayward, Publican/Gardener at this address. Then in 1908 A Hayward (NO trade). By 1917 we see again the occupier listed as Cotswold Stores, and A.B. Sanders (presumably running it). In 1926 George Holtham, a Beer Retailer occupies the property. From 1938 to 1948 Tom Butterworth changed the trade altogether to a Wardrobe Dealers. The from 1952 to1969 the Cheltenham Refrigeration Co Ltd occupied Number 13 together with Number 11. This we know continued up to 1975 (see above).