The Suffolks │39 previous / next │main map / suffolks map
2 Suffolk Road
From 1851 to 1871 Richard Tyler, Baker, Confectioner and Pastry Cook occupied this property. The shop remained a bakers but from 1881to 1891 was under the occupancy of one Edwin Gorton. He was a Baker, Confectioner/Pastry Cook. This trend continued when in 1897 Benjamin Sims, another Bread & Biscuit maker, Confectioner, Flour dealer & Public Caterer took over the property. He remained there until 1908 we understand, when it changed to W.A. Rolfe, Baker & Pastry cook. However, in 1917 we saw a change of use when a Dairyman in the name of C Fry occupied the premises. In 1926 there was another change of use when Gilbert S Bevan took possession and turned it into a Grocers. This expanded into a Greengrocers when in 1934, and up to 1938, a Mr George Smith traded here.
For further information about the Tyler and Sims families please refer to page 17 (16 Suffolk Parade).
If you have any further information or photographs of this property please let us know via the contacts page.