The Suffolks │51 previous / next │main map / suffolks map
42 Suffolk Road (formerly Norwood Place)
In about 1931 Mr C.S. Brookes acquired these premises and the shop next door at 44 Suffolk Road for his furniture making and retailing business, Cheltenham Cabinet Works Ltd. This company previously had its showroom and factory at 152 High Street in the late 1920s and, even earlier, were in Portland Street.
They had a very commercial approach to marketing their products, including eye-catching illustrations, sale offers and other discounts and an emphasis on the high quality of the work.
During World War II Mr Brookes made these premises available for the fire watchers guarding against the dropping of incendiary bombs by enemy aircraft.
Cheltenham Cabinet Works survived the war unscathed and were here until 1957, when this part of the shop was taken over by a printer called George Hooper. That company later came to be owned by A.J. Ingles and was still here until at least 1975.
Researcher: Stuart Manton (December 2015)
If you have any further information or photographs of this property please let us know via the contacts page.