The Suffolks │54 previous / next │main map / suffolks map
48 Suffolk Road (formerly Staffordshire House)
From 1871 this property was known as Staffordshire House and it was occupied in that year by Mr D.Potter, a china dealer & broker. The business was taken over by 1881 by John Henry Potter, who initially called himself a bookkeeper but traded under the name of the Suffolk Road China Shop until his death in May 1919, aged 71. He had been an active member of the Bethesda Wesleyan church and a pioneer in the cause of temperance.
The shop was sold in 1920 and changed to become a greengrocers run by Charles Selley & Son, who sourced their fresh fruit and vegetables from fields in Leckhampton.
By 1927 the shop had changed hands again when Mr Henry Payton ran his Wireless and Electrical store here, offering radios for just a £1 downpayment.
He didn't remain for very long, as by 1931 Mr Percival Roach had opened his provisions merchant shop in these premises. He relocated next door to number 50 Suffolk Road late in 1937 and Ellen Basher ladies hairdresser took over this shop.
A further change happened by 1945 when this became a newsagent run by Mr Charles William Brendecke, commencing a long series of newsagents at various times under the names of Smith, Buckley, Ann's Newsagency and, in 1975, Jackson.
Researcher: Stuart Manton (December 2015)
If you have any further information or photographs of this property please let us know via the contacts page.