The Suffolks │61 previous / next │main map / suffolks map
8, Great Norwood Street (formerly 3, Bon Marche Place)
In 1902 this shop was occupied by the Beehive Drapery Stores. By 1906 this had changed and Mr Thomas Evans and his son were in business as tailors at this address. In 1909 they paid £22 per annum rent for the premises.
The building was sold with vacant possession in 1923 and by the following year the trade had changed to H. Payton Wireless Stores, who were previously in the Lower High Street. They sold electrical and wireless accessories and radio sets and charged accumulators. Britain's first live public broadcast from the Marconi factory in Chelmsford only took place in June 1920 and the first regular programmes from the BBC began in 1922, so this shop was at the forefront of a social change. In 1924 they advertised a 3 valve wireless set for £8, when the average male weekly wage was about £5.
Payton's relocated to Suffolk Road in about 1928 and these premises were left in the hands of Mr Sydney Lloyd, a boot maker, with whom they may have previously shared space for a few years. A Frederick Lloyd traded here until at least 1962.
By the early 1970s these premises had become one of many antique shops that arose in this part of Cheltenham, under the ownership of R. Wolstencroft, who was here until after 1975.
Research: Stuart Manton & Karen Wilson (July 2016)
If you have any further information or photographs of this property please let us know via the contacts page.