The Suffolks │10 previous / next │main map / suffolks map
6, St James Terrace
Just before Christmas 1841 a strange advertisement appeared in the local press. This was an opportunity to view a "Gigantic Child" at 6, St James Terrace, for which privilege the public could buy tickets. The price is unspecified but perhaps this was seen as great entertainment in the days before television.
In about March 1857 Mr William Hands, who described himself as a "Surgeon Dentist, Chemist etc.", relocated his pharmacy to these premises, having formerly been at 17 Suffolk Parade (now number 33). He offered a range of pills and potions with extraordinary claims as to their efficacy, which should make us thankful for modern medicine! Mr Hands moved again in the mid 1860s, when he opened a chemist's shop in the High Street, and there he died in 1909, aged 77. Mrs Hands also ran her millinery and dressmaking business at this address in 1857.
By 1871 Mr H. Sheppard ran his plumbing, gas fitting and decorating business here and in by 1881 this had changed to Mr Ferdinand Dudly Ward Smith, a bricklayer and builder.
Researcher: Stuart Manton (October 2016)
Charlie Allen's Canine Comforts
If you have any further information or photographs of this property please let us know via the contacts page.