Bath Road │28 previous / next │main map / bath road map
155 Bath Road (formerly 2, Adelaide Buildings)
In 1841 numbers 1 & 2 Adelaide Buildings were occupied by a grocer's shop belonging to Mr Stephen Dawson and in 1845 the shop featured in George Rowe's guide to Cheltenham. By the mid 1850s the grocer at 1 & 2 Adelaide Buildings was called Thomas Tibbles, who traded in tea, bread, flour, tobacco, snuff and shot.
These premises formed part of the grocer’s shop of Albert Ernest Francis at the start of the 20th century. When he relocated further up the street this shop was divided forming 153 and 155 Bath Road and by 1911 the Little family, who already owned 157, had taken it over.
Over the next 20 years or so the property had several occupants, amongst which was Mr E.H. Cross and a draper and furniture dealer called Mr Wilfred Cripps. None of them stayed for more than a few years.
Then, in 1933, the hairdressing salon belonging to Mrs A.H. Shelley opened here. Although referred to in directories as “Margaret” Ladies Hair Salon, it was always known as “Marguerites” by its clients. One of the best remembered hairdressers here was Mrs Muriel Ballinger (known as Trixie), the wife of Archie, whose barber shop was a few doors away. In 1950 a shampoo and set cost 4 shillings and sixpence (22.5p). The property remained a ladies hairdressing salon until 1975.
Later in the 20th century an amusement arcade called Top Slots was located here, since when it became a Chinese takeaway called Silk. By the start of the 21st century it had changed to the T&M Chinese Takeaway until, in October 2014, it changed to Dominos takeaway Pizza. This company was founded in 1960, in the USA, and came to Britain in 1985, where it now has more than 500 outlets.
Researcher: Marilyn West
Updated: Stuart Manton (October 2016)
If you have any further information or photographs of this property please let us know via the contacts page.