The Suffolks │17 previous / next │main map / suffolks map
16 Suffolk Parade (formerly 2 Suffolk Parade South)
Although it is difficult to be certain, since the house numbers changed during the construction of Suffolk Parade, this property was probably a butcher's shop belonging to Joseph Kingham in 1830. In that year it became the home of Charles Salt, a surgeon, who later moved to Suffolk Lodge (now The Retreat).
Then in 1839 a bakery was established here by Mr James Tyler and his wife Sarah, thus beginning a trade that was to continue on this site (or next door) until about the late 1960s. James Tyler is recorded as having run the tuck shop at Cheltenham College, where he was particularly appreciated for his "twopennies", a "small sort of raised pie, made of fruit, gooseberries, apples or plums, completely enclosed with pastry" and various other delicacies.
James Tyler died young in 1847 and the business passed to his relative Thomas Tyler, who was married to Hannah and by 1861 called himself a "master baker", employing various assistant bakers, apprentices and servants.
The Tylers were at this property until about 1868, when they sold the bakery to Mr John Sims, who also acquired number 17 at or about the same time. John had been born in Dursley in about 1830 and was married to Matilda. He not only baked here but was also a corn factor, or dealer, perhaps continuing a family trade carried on by Thomas Sims at 5 Montpellier Retreat in 1830.
By 1892 Sims was already an institution in Suffolk Parade and they were then trading as bakers, corn factors and seedsmen from the double-fronted shop. They also had a branch at Montpellier Exchange. They advertised themselves as confectioners, producing fancy goods such as wedding cakes, ices, jellies and blancmanges.
The business closed and the property was advertised for sale in 1938, after which it was divided back into two shops. This one became William Edwin Cook, builder and contractor, whilst number 17 continued as a bakery under new ownership. William Cook was still at this address as late as 1975.
Today the premises accommodate Cheltine Limited, commercial property owners and managers, a company with it's origins in food manufacturing elsewhere in the town in the 19th century.
Researchers: Stuart Manton & Jill Waller
For more information about the history of the Suffolks click here.
If you have any further information or photographs of this property please let us know via the contacts page.