Bath Road │14 previous / next │main map / bath road map
145 Bath Road (formerly 1 Westall Buildings)
In 1894 this and the neighbouring property, forming 1,2 & 3 Westal Buildings were offered for sale by auction following the death of the owner Mr George Winstone. He had for 30 years conducted his Building and Builder's Merchant business from these premises. Altogether the sale consisted of three modern double-fronted shops, a dwelling house and a Builder's Yard with double door entrance from the Bath Road. Mr Winstone had advertised the property the year before as he was retiring due to ill health but died before finding a purchaser.
The first quarter of the 20th century saw Robert Welch occupying these premises. Born about 1860, he was the son of Robert Welch and his wife Elizabeth and, like his father, was a master boot-and clog-maker. In the late 19th century Robert Welch senior had a boot making business in the High Street.
Known as Bob, Robert junior was a keen cyclist and a popular member of Cheltenham Road Cycling Club, taking part in many competitions both on the track and on the road. A moment of drama entered his life in late 1907, when he was the witness to a shooting and attempted murder in Painswick, arising from a matrimonial dispute between Ambrose Webb, a fishmonger of 140 Bath Road, and his wife Nelly Webb. Bob died, aged 59, here at his home in Bath Road, on March 5th 1919.
For a short time from the mid 1920s this was a hardware shop with its proprietor being Robert Harris.
The end of the 1920s saw the first of three confectioners and tobacconists here, Mrs A Yeates, was also a collector for the football pools. Mr A E Gutteridge and Mrs C H Deeks were also both here during the 1930s. When Mrs Deeks left in 1935 the shop fittings were sold off and it seems the premises were then empty for a few years. In May 1937 the property was sold by public auction to Mr Leigh James for £350.
After the war this shop was taken over by Mr George Bert Tucker and his family. Mr Tucker was an electrical engineer and this was just the place to go for the repair of your radio, or for the few who had them, televisions. The Tuckers also sold small electrical items and the usual batteries and bulbs. In 1948 they advertised reconditioned battery or mains operated radios at a bargain price of £6/15 shillings.
The shop then changed trades in about 1950 when Mr W R Cambridge took over. Mr Cambridge was an antique dealer and well respected in Bath Road. The shop then became an office of the Chelsea Building Society until taken over by the charity shop, Age Concern.
Researcher: Marilyn West
Updated: Stuart Manton (October 2016)
If you have any further information or photographs of this property please let us know via the contacts page.