Tivoli │11b previous / next │main map / tivoli map
38 Andover Road
Advt of John T Burrows
Meat Supply Stores 1889
Helene occupies what the early Street Directories numbered 4 and 4½ Tivoli Place. The latter made the corner into Tivoli Street and in the 1840s was a butcher’s business run by Mr T Hughes. One can still see today in Tivoli Street, the awning over the window of the former butcher shop, beneath which are two iron meat hooks from which carcasses used to hang. It has been difficult to trace the history of this property but it would appear from the Old Town Survey and Annuaires that from 1852 to about 1887 it had become another pub in the area – The Butcher’s Arms. The proprietor in 1852 was a William Bailey. The pub changed hands frequently and between 1883 and 1887 when it closed, it had had five tenants, the last being James Williams. After 1887 there is no further reference to this hostelry.
Number 4 itself was distinguished by a fine three sided bay window at first floor level with a balcony above the entrance. In the 1850s and 1860s this was the home and business premises of William Phipps a dairyman. At one time in the 1850s he had staying with him and his wife and two sons, two actresses – a widow aged 40 and her daughter aged 20. Of interest is the fact that in 1866 a Thomas Phipps was landlord of the Butcher’s Arms and from 1867 – 1878, Ann Phipps was landlady. Perhaps the same Phipps family ran both establishments.
The shop became successively a Boot and Shoe Warehouse (1870s) a butcher shop run by a Mr Burrows until 1910, continuing under Mr Whitmore until the 1930s. At the beginning of WWI it changed to a hairdressing business run by the Dennis and Rummings families and then an antiques business until 1968 when it was taken over by its present owner Monica Mustoe and together with part of the former Butcher’s Arms premises, is now a Ladies’ and Gents’ Hair Salon. The windows and doors have been altered and repositioned and access to both parts of the establishment is from Tivoli Street. Part of the premises is shown in photograph 21a following.
Researcher: Brian Torode.
If you have any further information or photographs of this property please let us know via the contacts page.