The Suffolks │40 previous / next │main map / suffolks map
4 Suffolk Road
From 1851 up to 1857 William Sneed Pitt, Gardener and Seedsman occupied No 4. It is recorded that in 1852 the same W.S. Pitt extended his trade to include Fruiterers. In 1871 for 10 years up to 1881 there saw a change of use completely when John Darter, bookseller took over.
We have also recorded that during 1891, 1892 and 1893 a Henrietta Darter, a Bookseller was in situ. Possibly a partnership? During 1897 J Darter expanded from just a Bookseller to include Newsagents and Stationers. He is still recorded as trading in 1901 as Jn Darter a Bookseller. Then by 1908 (properties numbered 2 & 3 plus this one,) the Misses Gibbons, were in occupation as Stationers.
However by 1917, including the premises numbered 2 & 3, J Darter was again recorded as occupying the building as a Bookseller, plus a Miss Gibbons; By 1926 again this unit, plus 2&3, were occupied by a Miss Mary F Gibbons as a Stationers. In 1934 we have listed, Darter’s College Book Depôt, (R.H. Hailing); From 1938 up to 1952 unit 4 & 6 is written as Reg.d Harold Hailing, Stationers which could be “registered as” or “Reginald”. By 1961 unit 4 & 6 is Darter’s (Maj B.A.H. Bogle), Bookseller, Stationers and Newsagents. In 1969 we have units 4, 6 and 8 as W.A. Woof Ltd, Sports Outfitters.