The Suffolks │69 previous / next │main map / suffolks map
6 Bethesda Street
For most of it's history this building was the Little Crown public house in Commercial Street and it is recorded that in 1843 the licensee, Daniel Bolton, was charged with keeping his beer house open at 11.30 pm on a Saturday night, in contravention of the licensing hours. He made similar mistakes in 1859, when he was fined two shillings and sixpence, and in 1865. In 1867 he summoned for opening the bar "during the hours of Divine Service".
By about 1872 the landlord had changed to Clement Press. Two years later the newspapers reported an affray in the pub in which Mrs Press was assaulted by a customer who her husband had refused to serve because he was intoxicated.
Clement Press seems to have been quite a robust character who came to attention of the law on more than one occasion. In 1869 he made an application to extend the Little Crown into the adjoining house at 16 Commercial Street. Then in 1891 he was fined £1 for serving alcohol on a Sunday morning and when his license came up for renewal later that year the police made an objection.
If you have any further information or photographs of this property please let us know via the contacts page.