Tivoli │ previous / next │main map / tivoli map
Researcher: Brian Torode
In the 1864 Register of New Buildings held at Gloucestershire Archives, there is an entry for ‘three houses and shops on the site of Ivy Cottage, Tivoli.’ This no doubt refers to the site on the corner of Tivoli Lane referred to above, on which stood the large detached Gueriff ‘cottage’ before we come to Tivoli Place.
This ‘cottage’ set in the centre of a sizeable plot, is clearly shown on the 1855 Old Town Survey map. By 1871, four, not three buildings, had replaced the cottage and occupied the whole site. They were numbered 1,2,3,4 Tivoli Buildings, number four being attached to number 1, Tivoli Place.
These properties are in 2010, Severn Furnishing; ATC Timber Floor and Doors; Tivoli Stores and Tivoli Butcher.
1871 is the first year in which these properties are listed in local directories, but number 2 was then unoccupied. Re-numbering of Andover Road took place in 1966 or thereabout and the properties are today numbered 24, 26, 28, and 30.