The Suffolks │63 previous / next │main map / suffolks map
1 Great Norwood Street (formerly 1 Suffolk Road)
The premises in Great Norwood Street were renumbered in about 1930.
This shop has been, for the greatest part of its existence, associated with fabrics and clothing. In 1852 it was home to the business of Edwin Cox, a linen draper, and continued in this trade until 1975 under various proprietors. Although the following dates are only indicative these were Elizabeth Head (before 1881), James Dicks & Son (1881 onward), Dicks & Sons (Mary A.W. Eldridge) (1901), Mrs Dora Aldred (1926), Herbert T Ayres (1935-52) and R.& E.D. Aukrett (1961).
Dicks and Sons were a well-known clothing business in Cheltenham and their main shop was situated opposite the bowling green in the High Street, at "Dicks's Corner". In 1881 James Dicks was paying £30 annual rent for this shop in Great Norwood Street, which had the benefit of a gas supply and "hill water" (presumably from springs at Leckhampton). In the basement were a kitchen, scullery and coal cellar.
By 1975 the shop had changed to become a chemists owned by Harvey Evans MPS. But for several years until today it has reverted back to the clothing trade and since June 2009 has been known as Revamp, a clothing agency selling beautiful vintage and second hand clothing.
Researchers: Jill Waller & Stuart Manton (Jan 2017)
If you have any further information or photographs of this property please let us know via the contacts page.