Bath Road │13 previous / next │main map / bath road map
143 Bath Road (formerly Mosquito Ghur)
The word Ghur is the Hindi word for house and this was one of a pair built in this part of the road. For the first few decades of the twentieth century this remained a private dwelling without a shop front and was in the occupation at the turn of the century of Mr William Moorman, a photographer. Mr Moorman took part in local activities including the Leckhampton Working Men’s Rifle Club of which he was a prominent member. Mr Moorman had left Mosquito Ghur by 1906 and for the next half dozen years it was the home of Mr A G Ursell, occupation unknown.
By 1915 the property had been taken over by Mr Albert Burrows who was an insurance agent. Some people may remember this as a private house with its brown paintwork and with a verandah surrounding it. Around the early sixties a shop was built in front to bring it in line with the other buildings.
This new shop wasn’t really a shop at all. For the remainder of the century it was several cafés or restaurants amongst them Kate’s Parlour, County Caterers, the Edelweiss Café and the Suffolk Restaurant. Since the end of the 20th century it once again has Indian words in its name, as it is currently the home of an Indian restaurant called Balti Walla.
Researcher: Marilyn West.
If you have any further information or photographs of this property please let us know via the contacts page.