Tivoli │12a previous / next │main map / tivoli map
40 Andover Road
1899 advert for R Strang
Originally number 5 Tivoli Place, this property was a private house in 1850, shared by two families: a gardener, his wife and two servants and a lodger; and a milliner, two infant sons and a servant lodger. Between 1870 and 1895 it was the offices for S Marchant, builder, and R Strang, ironmonger and heating engineer.
By 1895 it had been acquired by Cormell and Sons as their undertaker’s department. It was later used for short periods by various small businesses until 1935 when it was acquired by Charles Probert for his ‘PA Meat Company Butcher’ business. By 1950 it was for a short while the premises for ‘Elliot’s Boot and Shoe Repairs’, and from the 1960s, ‘Gordon Mustoe, TV, Radio & Electrical Engineers.’ The Fireplace Shop was here from 1999 until July 2014 when this became home to Catherine Colebrook, who produce designs for homes and giftware.
Researcher: Brian Torode.
If you have any further information or photographs of this property please let us know via the contacts page.