Bath Road │65 previous / next │main map / bath road map
215 Bath Road (formerly 110A Upper Bath Road)
For at least half of the 20th century this little shop was associated with things to eat. During the 1920s and until the Second World War it was a confectioner’s. After the war it was empty for a short period and then became a small cafe for over 20 years. From the mid 1940s it was called Sandy’s café, owned by Nelson Graves (1949), and then the name changed in the early 1960s to Chico’s. There were no tables for customers – just a counter along three of the walls – and people would either sit on stools or stand whilst they had their refreshments.
In the mid 1960s the shop became a hair and beauty salon, following which the trade changed to various antique dealers, with names such as Elephant’s Bag, Leckhampton Antiques and Bumbles. In 1997 it became Molly’s antique shop and is now home to Rosa Blue which specialises in gifts, fabrics and home accessories, many of them hand-made.
Researcher: Marilyn West
Updated: Stuart Manton (May 2014)
If you have any further information or photographs of this property please let us know via the contacts page.