The Suffolks │33 previous / next │main map / suffolks map
11-13 Suffolk Road
11 Suffolk Road (formerly 6, Suffolk Road)
In 1871 a grocer called W Parsons occupied this shop. Within ten years came a trade that was to last for about 90 years in the form of Nathaniel G. Poulston, a hairdresser. He paid £15 per year rent for the property in 1883.
By 1891 the shop was in the hands of Alfred Gibbons and his name remained above the door for many years, although between 1908 and 1947 it was described as a tobacconist and then from about 1948 to the mid 1950s once more as a hairdresser. Whilst still a hairdressers, in the 1960s the name had changed to P.G. Jones. By 1973 both this shop and the one next door at number 13 had become The Cheltenham Refrigeration Co Ltd.
13 Suffolk Road (formerly 5, Suffolk Road)
Between 1856 and about 1934 this property was a beerhouse, or a combined public house and shop, called the Cotswold Stores Inn. In 1857 the Inn was run by John Wall. By 1883 the business was owned by Garton & Co. and several beerhouse keepers were employed here over the years. From about 1883 to 1903 the publican was William Hayward and he was succeeded by his son Arthur Hayward. In 1917 the manager was A.B. Sanders and in 1926 George Holtham. By 1929 the Inn was owned by the Cheltenham Original Brewing Company and it was announced by local magistrates that this and other beer houses were to be closed on the grounds that they were no longer required. The following year the Cotswold Stores was purchased by Mr L.W. Barnard for £350.
In 1934 the shop was run by a tailor called E. Willis and from 1938 to 1948 Tom Butterworth ran it as a clothes shop, later known as Griffins. Then from 1952 to 1975 the Cheltenham Refrigeration Co Ltd occupied this shop, together with number 11.
In recent years the property accommodated English Stone & Home but today both premises are once more a hairdressers, called Paco Delgado.
If you have any further information or photographs of this property please let us know via the contacts page.