The Suffolks │48 previous / next │main map / suffolks map
24-28 Suffolk Road
24 Suffolk Road
In 1871 William Hopkins had this property as Lodgings but in 1881 it was recorded as empty. By 1891 and 1892 Charles Walter Padgham, the Tailor listed above in number 24 and 22. By 1901 we see a Charles J Teague, Professor of music occupying this property. This changes again by 1917-26 to a Mrs Minnie A Bacon, Greengrocer. In 1934 there is a P Bacon listed as a Greengrocer. In 1952 Percival Thomas
Nash, a Florist, fruiterer & greengrocer is here. But again this changes and in 1961 up to 1969 when G Curtis, Antique Dealer trades here. In 1975 this property becomes Park Antiques.
26 Suffolk Road
In 1901 to 1908 Robert Hawkins trades as a Ladies’ Tailor and this changes by 1926 to John William Hannis, a Wardrobe dealer.
28 Suffolk Road
In 1899 this was the College Dairy, which by 1901 was run by Sarah J Maxfield. In January 1905 William Minett of the College Dairy was convicted and fined £2 for selling watered-down milk but he seems to have survived the shame and was still advertising the sale of eggs here in 1910.
By 1917 the proprietor had changed to L.A. Evans, College Dairy & Confectionery. Lloyd Alfred Evans died in 1932, although his name still appeared in the directories for a while. His widow Laura carried on trading here as Mrs L. Evans, Confectioner, for many years. By 1961 this had changed to Smith’s Stores, Shopkeepers.