The Suffolks │5 previous / next │main map / suffolks map
7 Suffolk Parade
As early as 1857, when this northern end of Suffolk Parade was known as Suffolk Place, this shop was a greengrocers belonging to John Pain and his wife Hannah. In common with most of the residents in the street they employed a domestic servant to look after the house. John also described himself as a gardener and he probably grew some of the produce that was sold in the shop.
By 1870 the greengrocers business had transferred to Mrs M.A. Champion, who was here for about 10 years. She in turn was replaced by Charles Blakeway, a fruiterer and greengrocer. The last recorded greengrocer was Mr F. Barton until at least 1893.
The approach of a new century saw a new trade established here in the form of William Clark's second hand bookshop, in 1897. William also at various times sold antique furniture and stamps and remained at this address until 1938.
The property may have entered a period of residential use after this, as no trades are clearly identified in the directories.
Today these premises are home to Moss Prints art gallery.
Researchers: Stuart Manton & Jill Waller
If you have any further information or photographs of this property please let us know via the contacts page.