Bath Road │63 previous / next │main map / bath road map
242 Bath Road
The Brown Jug has been here since the mid 19th century (we are still trying to trace the exact date that it was established).
One of the longest serving landlords was Adolphus White. Born in Cheltenham he was married to Ann Baylis and they had several children. Like many landlords Adolphus had another trade – his was carpenter. He died aged 53 in 1895 and after his death Ann ran the pub until about 1908
The premises seemed to have been owned by a Walter Buckle who also owned other properties adjoining the pub as far down as the corner of Francis St (to be confirmed)
Other landlords from then until the start of the First World War included Mr Henry Bristow Harbourne, who was landlord for the early years of the 20th century. Mr R L Smith and Mr W Skarre also listed as landlords.
From about 1916 until 1926 Philip Williams was landlord here, followed by William Charles Cook.
By the start of the Second World War –the landlord was William (or Reginald) Woolridge.
After the war there was a slight change in the name of the pub when it was called Ye Olde Browne Jugge but it changed back when the Brimfield family took over in the 1960s. Their connection with the pub lasted over thirty years with first Mr William Brimfield and then his son Derek taking over.
Running the Brown Jug at the beginning of the 21st century were Peter and Jeanne Harris. The present landlord is Matthew Birch.
Researcher: Marilyn West
If you have any further information or photographs of this property please let us know via the contacts page.