The Suffolks │3 previous / next │main map / suffolks map
2 St James Terrace
St James Terrace was built a little later than most of the houses in Suffolk Parade, in about 1840. In that year this property was home to J. Williams, a hairdresser and this trade continued here until the first few years of the 20th century. Three members of the Williams family ran the business until, in about 1880, it passed to Mr Charles Todd.
By 1905 the hairdressers had gone and this was now a confectioners belonging to Mrs W. Rogers. She was here until 1922 but by 1924 William J. Trinder is listed at this property. The directories state that he was a shopkeeper but add no further details, so this needs further investigation. In 1940 Mr Frederick Hill lived here but no trades are mentioned until 1970 when Keith Hazard, an antiques dealer, occupied these premises. The property then alternated between being an antiques shop and residential use. Mrs Hazard was still here in the early 2000s.
Researcher: Stuart Manton
If you have any further information or photographs of this property please let us know via the contacts page.