The Suffolks │34 previous / next │main map / suffolks map
9 Suffolk Road (formerly 7, Suffolk Road)
Where we now have sofas, in 1867 Mr George Tillion, a pork butcher, occupied the shop. In the 1870s the trade changed to a grocery, as it was to remain for about the next 80 years. The first grocer was Mr Parsons and he was replaced by George Russell in 1880. In 1883 Mr Russell was paying a yearly rental of £20 for the shop and the following year his daughter Fanny Emily was born here.
In about 1892 the shop was taken over by a grocer called Henry Holloway. Mr Holloway died in the 1930s and was succeeded by his wife, who continued the grocery business until the early 1950s. A member of the family, K. Holloway was still living here in 1973.