Tivoli │ 2a previous / next │main map / tivoli map
24 Andover Road (formerly 1 Tivoli Buildings)
For at least 90 years this property was the home to the same trade. In 1870 1 Tivoli Buildings was occupied by Mr Oliver Bradley, a grocer. By the following year this had changed to Mr T Wilkins, also a grocer and a wine merchant. By 1880, a new owner, Mr C J White advertised himself as a ‘Tea Dealer and Grocer.’
The property changed hands again in 1890 when Mr Joseph Farman Sadler acquired the business and at the same time expanded into the recently vacated property next door, 2 Tivoli Buildings (now 26 Andover Road). Mr Sadler, who from 1892-99 was a churchwarden at St Stephen's, remained in business here until his death in 1925 at the age of 72, during which period he had also extended the business into number 3 (28). He was an active member of the Primrose League, which was founded in 1883 to promote Conservative values.The late Jack Crook well remembered the highly polished brass name plate that adorned the whole of the shop front window ledge, polished every morning so that one could see one’s face in it and used as a ‘hair adjustment’ mirror by the young girls of the neighbourhood.
The business then continued in the three properties under Messrs B.Wilding and Co, Grocers until some time into the 1950s when the business transferred to Silk and Son (Dobell and Bartholomew). By 1965 numbers 1 and 2 Tivoli Buildings were vacant and later number 1 was run by a Toy Dealer into the 1970s. More recently by D N Goodman located here as an Interior Design Centre and a soft furnishings showroom.
The present business – Severn Furnishing Office furniture and Specialist Seating Supplies - was opened in 2004 by Nigel Eldridge.
Researcher: Brian Torode
Additional Material: Stuart Manton (March 2016)
If you have any further information or photographs of this property please let us know via the contacts page.